Jiang Cheng (江澄 Jiāng Chéng), courtesy name Jiang Wanyin (江晚吟 Jiāng Wǎnyín), is the current leader of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect and the uncle of Jin Ling. He is also known by his title, Sandu Shengshou (三毒圣手 Sāndú shèngshǒu).
Jiang Cheng wears the purple robes of the Yunmeng Jiang sect. In the animation, Jiang Cheng has short black hair that is pulled into a bun with a purple ribbon. He has blue eyes.
In his younger years, Jiang Cheng was strict but caring. He was straight laced and often annoyed by Wei Wuxian, but loved him like a brother and got along well with him. He had a short temper but knew to respect his elders and superiors and often warned Wei Wuxian that his antics would get him into trouble. He showed deep care for his friends and family, becoming angered by negative comments about Wei wuxian and his sister Jiang Yanli. Despite this, he knew who to be cautious of as he tried to prevent Wei Wuxian from getting into fights with Jin Zixuan as he was to be his brother in law.
He had an inferiority complex to Wei Wuxian as he felt his father loved him more than him, but Wei Wuxian assured him that he would be a loyal servant and equal to Jiang Cheng when he grew up, easing their relationship. After his parents and many of his sect's disiciples were murdered by the Wen Clan, he grew to despise them with his heart and did everything to get revenge against them. His hatred was such that when Wei Wuxian saved two Wen clan members (Wen Ning and Wen Qing) it caused a great strain in their relationship. His feelings for Wei Wuxian turned into pure hatred once Wen Ning (who became Wei Wuxian's walking corpse and servant) murdered Jiang Yanli.
Jiang Cheng then became a man conflicted by vengeance and anger, as he despises Wei Wuxian for inadvertently orphaning Jin Ling and seeks to find his spirit to question and punish him. The mention of Wen Ning equally sends him into a rage. His strict nature is well known to be frightening, as his nephew Jin Ling often avoids him when he knows he is angry. Despite this, he still retains love for Jin Ling, his nephew and only blood relative and acts in a similarly stringent manner towards him as his own mother did to him as a child. Jiang Cheng's two consistent traits are his love for his family and his ability to hold deep grudges though by the end of the book he relinquishes his hatred towards Wei Wuxian after finding out the truth about his golden core.
The Twin Heroes of Yunmeng Meet
Studying in the Cloud Recesses
Burning of Lotus Pier
Losing and Regaining a Golden Core
When Jiang Cheng was taken back to the Lotus Pier after it was burnt down, his golden core was melted by Wen Zhuliu. He was rescued later by Wen Ning and Wei Wuxian.
Wei Wuxian took Jiang Cheng to Yiling where he gave Jiang Cheng his own golden core. The process was carried out by Wen Qing. Wen Ning was also there to witness the process.
Post-war Isolation - the Jin-Jiang Marriage
Bloodbath of Nightless City and Death of Jiang Yanli
First Siege of the Burial Mounds - Parting of the Twin Heroes
13 Years Persecuting Demonic Cultivators
Chaos at Carp Tower
Incident at Guanyin Temple
For More info: see Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng
While he was close to Wei Wuxian in the past, this relationship morphed into an antagonistic one for many years. Jiang Cheng blames Wei Wuxian for the death of his brother-in-law when Wei Wuxian lost control of Wen Ning while learning how to control corpses. He was especially ticked off when his sister Jiang Yanli was killed when trying to protect Wei Wuxian, the result of which left him with no blood relatives anymore.
In the past, Jiang Cheng cared about Wei Wuxian, treating him like a brother. However, Jiang Cheng was also envious of his adopted brother for having more of his father's affection while Jiang Fengmian tended to treat him more stringently.
Jiang Yanli is Jiang Cheng's sister. Jiang Cheng is very close to his sister.
Jin Ling is Jiang Yanli's son and Jiang Cheng's nephew.
Abilities & Weapons
- Jiang Cheng ranks fifth on the list of young gentlemen in the cultivational world.
- Jiang Cheng went on to 3 blind dates. For various reasons, he got blacklisted by all the female cultivators.
- Jiang Cheng's requirements in his partner are: naturally beautiful, graceful and obedient, hard-working and thrifty, coming from a respected family, cultivation level not too high, personality not too strong, not too talkative, voice not too loud and must treat Jin Ling nicely.
- When he was a child, Jiang Cheng used to have puppies whom he called with corny names such as "Jasmine", "Princess", and "Little Love". However, after Wei Wuxian was brought to live at Lotus Pier, he was forced to send away the puppies because Wei Wuxian was scared of dogs. This caused Jiang Cheng to take an initially unpleasant atittude towards Wei Wuxian for some time.
- Jiang Cheng inherited both of his facial features as well as his personality from his mother, Madam Yu. He is known, therefore, to be short-tempered and harsh, same as his mother.